Friday, November 29, 2013

It Happens Only In India

When Jas and I first started dating,  he always used to play this song called "It Only Happens In India". After everything I have experienced in my 3 weeks here, I understand why that song was made! Today was our last day to do anything here, so we ventured out to the busiest wholesale market in all of Asia: Chandni Chowk. It means moonlight square and was designed by the emperors favorite daughter in 1650 A.D. Sounds romantic, right? Well, maybe back in that time when it had pools of water that used to reflect the moon, but that is all gone. Actually,  it had to be one of the dirtiest,  most hectic and crowded places that I have ever been! Once we exited the metro, the surge of people was overwhelming, and we pushed and dodged our way to the street. It was about 11 AM, the shops were not even open yet,  but there were people, rickshaws, cars and ox drawn carts everywhere.  First we went to another famous Sikh temple where a famous guru was tortured and killed.  We sat and listened to a bit of the service and then left.  We waved down a few rickshaws and then headed over to an extremely old and very large mosque. I have never been inside of a mosque so I really wated to check it out.  At the entrance,  Jas was denied because he had shorts on. So we removed our shoes and started to proceed into the courtyard,  once again we were stopped. The guy kept telling my inlaws that prayer was going to start in an hour so we couldnt go in, but for some reason he kept looking at me. I kind of got this vibe that he really didn't want us in there, especially me. My father in law argued with him a bit, but he just kept shooing us away. So we grabbed an electric rickshaw (only in India!) and continued on our way.  By this time, amongst all of the blazing horns and madness,  Mia fell fast asleep in my arms.....I couldn't believe it! While we made our way through,  I couldn't help but notice all of the crazy wires running everywhere.  There is no way in hell that comcast would ever come out to fix that mess if your cable went out! All of a sudden we got stuck in a Rickshaw jam in an intersection and everyone was attempting to go in different directions but nobody could move. Some rickshaws had to back up, people were screaming at eachother and horns were blaring....again, this only happens in India! Once we got through that mess, an ox driven cart pulled up next to us, and this gigantic animal was inches from my face! We finally pulled off to the side because Jas wanted to buy some fireworks for Mia. This small shop was filled with all kinds of interesting explosives and has been in business since the 1800's. Jas called me in (mia was out cold in my arms) and he showed me what he was buying and asked if I wanted anything else. As I turned around, I saw a box with a picture of a baby on it.....for fireworks! It was almost like they were advertising that this particular explosive is suitable for infants....only in India! We drove around the market a bit more, but I had seen enough of the insanity so we headed out for lunch to a place called Side Wok. It sounded amazing and was a recommendation from Jas's Uncle, only problem was that we had to find it. The driver dropped us off in front of the huge outdoor shopping mall and we started walking. By this time Mia had woken up, so I was carrying her, and it was probably about 80 degrees and I was sweating.  It seemed like we were walking forever and every person we asked if they knew were it was, had no clue this restaurant even existed.  We walked and walked, crossed busy crowded streets and dodged the street children begging us to buy their pencils. A few phone calls later, we finally found the restaurant and it was well worth it. The food was a mix of Thai/Chinese and everyone including Mia, enjoyed the food. Mia had actually been so good all day, that I promised her ice cream and any movie of her choice once we got home. I shouldn't have spoken so soon. Jas and his dad went on to shop while me, Mia and my mother in law headed back to the train station.  All of a sudden Mia threw the biggest tantrum on earth for no reason and I couldn't control her. She didnt want to walk and she didn't want to be held, I was literally wrestling with her on a busy sidewalk. People stopped and stared as I tried to hold her and walk to the train station but it was not happening.  At one point she layed down on the dirty sidewalk and screamed....I grabbed her and she screamed even louder and people started gathering around asking what happened.  My mother in law told them to mind their own business and went to go fetch a cab. Not one cab driver would take us once they saw the state that Mia was in. Finally we came upon a police officer and he hailed a cab in a spot where cabs were not supposed to stop and told the guy to take us. At first he resisted,  but the cop told him he had no choice,  so we climbed in....only in India! I was so thankful and Mia finally calmed down so we took the cab all the way home rather than the train. I wished we could have taken the train because riding in a 3 wheel motorcycle in rush hour traffic is not fun. The fumes from all the surrounding traffic and the bumpy ride gave me a massive migrane. I am so glad we are going home tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment